*This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase.
Winter should not hinder you from enjoying the outdoors because anyone can still enjoy that cold season. And that starts by exploring the world too!
Anyway, you could be wondering which are the best winter travel destinations that you can visit, right?
We got you!
In this article, we share the best winter travel destinations around the world, from places to enjoy the sun during winter to actual destinations experiencing winter.
You May Also Like:
10 of The Most Stunning Winter Travel Destinations
Japan has to be top on our list of the best winter travel destinations.
All the four seasons show forth majestically in Japan. Talk about spring when cherries blossom!
More beautiful is the fall season where the landscapes in Japan are blanketed with leaves of a variety of colors from red, orange, yellow, and pink. And the snow blanketing the landscapes too! The beauty is worth beholding!
First off, visit Tokyo in winter and you’ll be in love with the city. Be sure to also visit Jigokudani Monkey Park which is a really dramatic winter landscape. You can see snow monkeys and even bathe in the steaming hot waters. Fantastic!
Apart from the natural beauty of Japan during the seasons, the country also has a rich culture, traditions, histories, and breathtaking sceneries.
If you love snowboarding or skiing, there are a couple of ski resorts for you to undertake your activity. Just be sure to dress up appropriately and warmly.
Another fantastic winter spot in Japan is the Enoshima Sea Candle! From November 23rd to February 17th, you can enjoy the romantic winter illuminations here apart from the beautiful view of Mt.Fuji and the stunning sunset over Sagami Bay.
Japan Winter Tour: Visit Asahiyama Zoo, Aoi-Ike, and Shirohige Falls Light Show
You May Also Like:
[su_button url=”http://shrsl.com/1w38g” target=”blank” background=”#e65815″ color=”#fcfcfc” size=”4″ center=”yes” radius=”20″ icon=”icon: hand-o-right” icon_color=”#fafafa” text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″ rel=”nofollow”]Book Your Tokyo Night Private Tour[/su_button]
Talk about a winter-sun destination and I’ll mention Mauritius.
For anyone who wants to escape harsh winters and enjoy warmer weather, you’re welcome to Mauritius!
The beautiful tropical island in the Indian Ocean is full of very many things to be done and as much as the island experiences mild winters, the temperatures are normally warm and the showers of rain aren’t too scary to the point that you won’t enjoy your vacation. With a raincoat, you will!
[su_button url=”http://shrsl.com/1w38l” target=”blank” background=”#e65815″ color=”#fcfcfc” size=”4″ center=”yes” radius=”20″ icon=”icon: hand-o-right” icon_color=”#fafafa” text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″ rel=”nofollow”]Book Your Customized Mauritius Tour[/su_button]
You May Also Like:
This other beautiful island in the Indian Ocean should be your go-to in order to escape the winter sun.
An archipelago of 115 islands has the most spectacular beaches in the world; the beaches are untouched, unspoiled and isolated that they are so breathtakingly beautiful!
Crystal-clear sea and powdery-soft, white sandy beaches; tons of lush vegetation and verdant mountains, describe Seychelles in a bit.
While there are resorts everywhere, Seychelles as managed to maintain its wild, rugged and beautiful appeal.
Forget sipping coffee on your couch while tuck inside a warm duvet and come to Seychelles to embrace the wild.
Some of the best things you can do in La Digue include:
- Hiking Silhouette island.
- Eating tons of seafood.
- Cycling around Victoria and La Digue on a bike – you can follow the main road along the coast while making stopovers at L’Union Estate, Anse Source d’Argent, Ande Severe to see the best sunsets and Grand Anse.
- Shopping at markets in Victoria.
- Go snorkeling in Constance Ehelia in Mahe, Anse Lazio Beach on Praslin island and Anse Source d’Argent on La Digue.
- See giant Aldabra tortoises on Curieuse Island.
- Check out the rare Vallee de Mai Nature Reserve to see the prized Coco de Mer palm tree that bears the largest and heaviest seeds in the world.
Stay On La Digue Island>>
There are scores of places to visit in Switzerland in winter and snow activities to indulge in. This is why Switzerland remains one of the best winter travel destinations around the world.
So if you don’t want a boring winter, you’re welcome to experience Switzerland.
Thanks to the efficient transport system, you can access the amazing landscape in Switzerland comfortably using trains, ferries, and cable cars.
First off, visiting Switzerland and not going on a special trip to Oberalp pass is a NO-NO! Riding Glacier Express, the direct train from Zermatt to St.Moritz, allows you to catch panoramic views of the Alps while passing through tight curves, tons of bridges, narrow valleys, and tunnels.
You can also inhale fresh mountain air at the Jungfrau region or stay at Zermatt to access the surrounding mountains for skiing.
St.Moritz is also a winter holiday destination that has hosted winter Olympics and here, you can go skiing, snowboarding or snow-shoe trekking.
Stay In Zermatt>>
In winter, Christmas has to be a festivity we all wait for! If you’re planning to spend Christmas in a winter destination, St.Gallen in Switzerland which is the home to the tallest Christmas tree in Switzerland is a must-visit spot.
Stay In St.Gallen>>
Other best things to do in Switzerland include:
- Going on a sleigh cable ride as you witness the panoramic view of Switzerland.
- Experience Mt.Pilatus on the world’s steepest cogwheel railway.
- Tour Mt. Titlis in Engelberg
- Ski the Swiss Alps
- Catch the winter sunset.
- See the beauty of Oeschinen Lake.
- Catch Europe’s largest waterfall- the Rheinfall
- Catch a train through a wonderfully refreshing view of Landwasser Viaduct.
Other unmissable destinations in Switzerland include Lake Lucerne, Davos, Grachen, Zurich, and Engelberg. Better get to Switzerland!
Iceland in winter is it!
While many people avoid visiting Iceland in winter, believing the country could be super cold, you should take a step and visit this stunning country.
Iceland in winter is actually more affordable than during the other times of the year. Why?
- Iceland is normally less crowded.
- Hotels and other accommodation areas are more affordable.
- The flights are cheaper.
But before visiting Iceland, be sure to pack properly or else you’ll regret your stay there…you’ll be sorry!
Here is a complete packing list for Iceland in winter on the Full SuitCase site. You can easily get quality wear on Columbia right on Amazon.
Winter is the best time to see the Northern lights in Iceland.
While the dark nights could get cloudy and rainy, you can still catch the Northern lights if you drive outside of the city and be in enough darkness to see the Aurora on a lovely Iceland winter.
But if you don’t want to drive through or find a nice spot to catch the Northern Lights, you can simply take a Northern Lights tour.
Best Things to do in Iceland include:
- Have a rejuvenating Blue Lagoon experience. Don’t forget to try out the iconic silica mud mask! Get your Blue Lagoon Ticket here.
- Go to Ice Caves– Iceland glaciers can be dangerous so make sure to go with a qualified guide or a trusted ice cave tour company.
- Driving around the Highlands of Iceland with craters of endless black sands all around.
- Visit Godafoss, the waterfall of gods.
- Explore glacial rivers full of black sand beaches and peaks of Iceland.
Stay In Iceland>>
Is watching the Auroras on your bucket list?
Then add Norway to your winter bucket list because fall is the perfect time for Milky Way and aurora reflection on Senja Island. One of those nights under the Northern Lights or under the full arch of the Milky Way will amaze you!
If you want to catch the aurora without too much fuss, be sure to book your reservation at Aurora Borealis Observatory below.
Apart from the Northern Lights, you can catch the moon and auroral corona above the snowy landscape at this resort.
Enjoy the aurora with fantastic views directly from the bed, living area, kitchen table, private outdoor jacuzzi, porch, or just outdoors!
Norway is just full of stunning places you can explore. Apart from catching the Northern Lights, there are other amazing things to do in Norway include:
- Visiting the breathtaking village of Reine in Lofoten
- Go on first snow, early morning road trip at Hemsedal
- See the full moon above Sirdal.
- Go on a sleigh ride with a professional sleigh driver.
- Go skiing by the amazing fjords in Norway.
- Stay at Polar cabin.
- Stand on Trolltunga.
Stay In Tromso, Norway>>
Apart from Iceland and Finland, you can catch the Northern Lights in Finland.
When the snow starts setting, Canada becomes an amazing winter wonderland. Whether you love skiing or seeing exotic wildlife, exploring Canada will satisfy your winter wanderlust.
While winter in Canada might be chilly, the country has tons of beautiful destinations to visit.
The best places to visit in Canada include:
- Toronto, the best city to visit in Canada in winter– Here, you can attend the Winterlicious food festival to enjoy winter gourmet delights, tour Don Valley, and do much more.
- Whistler – Love skiing? This winter wonderland is the best place you should go.
- The majestic Niagara falls– The sheer beauty of frozen falls will leave you in awe! You can attend an ice-wine festival in Niagara town.
- Banff National Park– Many visitors to Canada visit Banff National Park to see Lake Moraine. Located some 15km from Lake Louise, the lake’s crystal-clear waters reflect the snowcapped Valley of the Ten Peaks.
- Grouse Mountain in British Columbia.
- Quebec City– Winter in Quebec City is terrific! Have snow baths, ice canoe races, stay in an igloo, and attend the Quebec Winter Festival to make massive snow sculptures. You can also visit the Ice Hotel carved entirely out of ice.
Stay In Toronto>>
8. The Caribbean Islands
If you can’t stand the cold, be sure to visit the Caribbean Islands to enjoy warmth and sunshine all winter long.
You can bask in beautiful beaches, stay at luxurious resorts, go hiking, see volcanic islands, visit jaw-dropping caves with crystal-clear waters, go on catamaran cruises, and enjoy the warm sandy beaches.
Best places to visit in the Caribbean Islands include Tortolla, Jamaica, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Barnados, St.Lucia, and Bonaire.
While the beaches in the Caribbean Islands are just amazing, the Caribbean also has some of the most beautiful caves. Some of the best caves to explore include:
- Crystal Cave in Bermuda where you can walk on pontoon rafts spanning across crystal clear waters.
- Cayman Crystal Caves with beautiful stalactites and stalagmites, crystal-clear waters, giants tree roots, and a tropical forest sitting directly above the caves.
- Hato Caves, Curacao where you can see stunning limestone formations, terraces, and Lesser Long-Nosed bats.
- Fantasy Cave in Bermuda which is the jewel box of stunning formations. Imagine a cave that features a wall of calcite that resembles a waterfall. Terrific!
You should also go cave tubing in Belize for a river cave expedition. This is one of those experiences you’ll never forget!
Stay In Bermuda>>
9. USA, Lake Tahoe
While New York, Alaska, Utah, and Mammoth Cave in Mammoth Cave National Park City are such great places to be in the US during winter, California is much better. Most especially, in Lake Tahoe in the USA.
Lake Tahoe is beautiful all year round, including in winter.
It’s amazing to see the snow-blanketed mountainsides, turquoise, clear and pure waters of the lake, alpine forests engulfed with fir and pine trees and the fresh mountain air
A fun fact about Lake Tahoe is that its main body does not freeze! Hence, you can enjoy its beauty even in winter!
Some of the best things to do in Lake Tahoe include:
- Skiing and snowshoeing– thanks to the ski resorts all over Lake Tahoe, you can explore this winter sport here.
- Kayaking. (TIP: Try this Kayaking destinations finder to find Kayaking spots near you that you may enjoy the water sport anytime)
- Relax and have a massage at the spas around.
- Stay at the cabins in Houston camp, Greenwood Haven, or Big Buck Lodge.
- Enjoy wilderness sleigh rides.
Stay In Lake Tahoe>>
Should you visit Morocco in the winter months? Oh yes, you should! Morocco is not just a summer destination for it is also a great winter travel destination!
When you feel like taking a break from the cold winter, then consider visiting a warmer, if not hotter destination-just like Morocco!
While Morocco is making its name as a luxurious tourist destination, exploring Morocco is worth your money-just prepare well.
Some of the best things you should do in Morocco include:
- Skiing on the Atlas Mountains– oh yes, you can ski in Africa- just visit the Oukaimeden ski resort and you’ll love it!
- Explore the Morocco desert.
- Explore little Switzerland in Morocco; ‘Ifrane’ – in the heart of the Atlas mountains, you can go skiing, catch waterfalls like the beautiful Sarfige and Zaouit Ifrane Wadi, and also, discover terrific lakes like Lake Dayet OAU, Afnounir and Dayet Ifrah among other waterfalls.
- Go on a sunrise hot-air balloon ride.
- Stay at a riad in Marrakech
- Visit a Souk and Cook Moroccan Food in Marrakech
- Explore the pretty town of Taroudant famous for its pink houses and fortified walls.
You May Also Like: 10 Things To Do In Morocco
Stay In Marrakech, Morocco>>
Well, where are you planning to go this winter? Planning for a visit to any of these winter travel destinations?
Please speak to us in the comments below…